Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Naughty kids

So, last night, Melanie had a "thing" with the Young Women organization in our ward, so I got to put everyone to bed. The twins were fed, so all I had to do was bathe them, dress them in PJs, make them bottles, and put them in bed. Simple, right? These guys are easy - what could go wrong?

Well, I got them bathed no problem. Cute little guys love taking baths in the utility sink in our laundry room. They do this thing where they raise their hands up and play with the water as it comes out of the faucet. They would stay in there all night if I let them, and if they didn't keep trying to stand up, then slipping, and almost vaulting themselves out of the basin.

Anyway, they were now clean, so I got them out and put diapers on them. Since they're getting big, and they're very wiggly, I took Logan upstairs first and set him down on the landing at the top of the stairs. He looked longingly at the toy room/loft that is right there, so I told him to go say "hi" to Collin, who was taking a shower at that time in the master bathroom. Then I went down to get Seth.

When I came up with Seth (like 30 seconds later, or less even), Logan was gone. I found him, as requested, in the master bathroom, sitting still, talking to Collin, and watching Collin take a shower. So I left him there and took Seth into the twins' room to put his PJs on. I once heard someone say that putting PJs (or any clothing, really) onto a baby is akin to trying to stuff an octopus into a mesh bag. I can see the similarities, though I have never attempted the latter. That task completed, however, I set off in search of Logan to do the same. I did not have to travel far, as just as I turned to leave the room, he came scurrying into the room at a dead out sprint (hands and knees). He was soaking wet. Hmmm. COLLIN!! No response. Grumbling, I dried Logan off with something I found on the floor of his room, then quickly (see above comment on dressing babies) got him dressed for bed.

At this moment, I realized that I had completely neglected to prepare bottles for them, so I left them playing on the floor of their room and went downstairs to get bottles and formula, chastising Collin along the way for apparently having "spit" several mouthfuls of water on Logan from the shower.

Upon returning, I find Seth crawling down the hall, so I scooped him up, plugged his bottle into his mouth, and put him in his crib. Cute little fella was just happy to finally be in bed! "So, where is Logan?" I ask myself. That's when I heard the yelling and screaming coming from the other bathroom. I arrived there to find Logan (in his PJs) standing next to the tub, where Kate was taking her evening bath, gleefully splashing the water (which was about 3 inches from the edge) and Kate pouring water on his head. Collin was there, too, laughing, screaming, and splashing, apparently not at all affected by the scolding he had just received for his own baby-soaking incident but a few minutes before.

Needless to say, Collin & Kate forfeited their dessert for the evening, and Logan basically got 3 baths in the span of 15 minutes.

4 comments:

Hailey said...

They move quickly, don't they?

Beeswax said...

Two words for ya. BABY GATES.What are you over there, hippies?

Beeswax said...

Joe I tagged you on my blog. Its like multi-level marketing. You get in, then you bring your friends in.

melanie said...

And people wonder why I say a calling in the Young Women's is a break!