Thursday, October 18, 2007

My "band"

OK, so I'm in an a cappella performing group. My wife calls it a boy band. So be it. It's a hobby. However, if you happen to come see us perform and you are expecting some sweet choreographed dance moves and thousands of swooning teenage girls throwing their lingerie at us, well you'll be gravely disappointed. Dance moves are pretty much non-existent - we don't even let a couple of the guys snap (think "The Jerk", starring Steve Martin) - and the only girls swooning over us are our wives and daughters - and Mom. My wife, Melanie, does still harbor illusions of teenage innocence (see her blog : http://minipearls.blogspot.com/2007/10/i-could-still-pass-for-17-right.html) and my daughter, Kate, is barely 4, so I'm not sure if the swooning on my behalf is genuine fan adoration or simply family loyalty. I'll accept the cheers however they come! (Side note: still no sign of lingerie at any of our shows. Mom, keep yours on.)

We do have a lot of fun with it, however, and we actually have a few shows coming up:

On Nov. 19th, we'll be singing at the Festival of Trees fund raiser at the new Banner Gateway Hospital. On Dec 1st, we're headlining the City of Chandler Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony. And on Dec 16th, we're performing at the Mesa, AZ Mormon Temple Christmas Lights concert. So, if you want to check us out, please stop by at any of these public gatherings.

As for us being a "boy band", I have some issues with that moniker. Now, I will admit that we do have the one bad-boy guy with facial hair, a couple of pretty boys, a sporty guy, and a quiet brooding type, but that's as far as it goes.

First of all, we all do have to shave regularly, and secondly, none of us, to my knowledge, has ever dated J-Lo. We don't (and can't) dance, and I'm pretty sure we're all straight. So there you have it.

We do have a great sound, though, and we're in the process of cutting a CD, so please check us out if you get the chance. We're called MC6, and we have a blog at http://mc6acappella.blogspot.com/.

7 comments:

Beeswax said...

Do I get a prize for making the first comment? Welcome, Joe! Now you have something else to do besides landscaping your yard! You and your band guys are a regular Rat Pack. Does anyone still live in Mesquite canyon? Last year's temple show was great. We'll be there!

Jenni said...

I want to see you guys perform!! Are you gonna be doing anything at Christmas while we're all there???

Scott said...

Which one of you guys gets to wear the spandex pants?
The band I used to be in was a little bit different than yours. But then, we never did get a paying gig either...I wish you well with it.

We miss you guys. Maybe i'll break lose and come see you sing at the tree lighting.

MAINLAW said...

I was wondering how long it would take before you got into blogging. Great job! I'm looking forward to my visit after Thanksgiving. Also looking forward to Dec. 1st gig at Christmas tree lighting. Hope I see Scott there!
Love and hugs,
Mom

Hailey said...

So, which one is the quiet, brooding type?

Joe said...

Hailey, that would be...uh, well, I'm not sure, really. Jeremy perhaps. He's probably the quietest of the bunch.

Joe said...

Jenni, we will be singing at the Temple Lights concert stage on Dec 16th. We were originally going to sing on the 22nd, which would have been perfect for all the family coming into town, but we ended up getting switched at the last minute with another group that had major conflicts on their original date, the 16th. So, unless you get into town early, I'm afraid you'll miss us. We plan to video it, though, so we can watch it over, and over, and over with you at Christmas. :)